Itasca is a company whose combined knowledge and experience in geomechanics, hydrogeology and microseismicity extends over thirty eight years. Itasca offers services and software for engineering industries where solutions to problems rely on unique integrated experience in rock behavior processes.
Below is a timeline of the development Itasca and milestones in its history.
- 2020 The University of Vienna (Austria) hosts the Fifth Itasca International Symposium on Applied Numerical Modeling in Geomechanics.
- 2014 Itasca Perú is founded in Lima, Perú. Itasca Calgary is founded in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Based out of Itasca Calgary and in conjunction with Itasca Houston and ASC (UK), a new initiative to provide comprehensive fracture network engineering for unconventional reservoirs is established.
- 2013 Itasca hosts the Third FLAC/DEM Symposium in Hangzhou, China.
- 2011 Itasca hosts the Second FLAC/DEM Symposium in Melbourne, Australia.
- 2010 Itasca India Consulting Pvt. Ltd. is formed in Nagpur, India. Itasca Consultants AB is formed in Luleå, Sweden.
- 2009 The parent company HCItasca is renamed Itasca International Inc. Itasca International Inc. acquires Applied Seisomology Consultants (ASC), adding its world-leading expertise in miscroseismics to the Itasca portfolio of services.
- 2008 HCItasca hosts the First FLAC/DEM Symposium in Minneapolis. The symposium is the first-ever presentation of all Itasca software in one gathering.
- 2007 Itasca Houston, Inc. and Itasca Australia Pty Ltd are founded in Houston, Texas and Richmond, Australia, respectively.
- 2006 Itasca Consulting Group, Inc. Japan Office, Research Center is founded in Shizuoka, Japan.
- 2004 Itasca Consulting China Ltd. is founded in Wuhan, China.
- 2002 FLAC/Slope is first released.
- 1999 Itasca Consulting Canada Inc. is founded in Sudbury as a result of a merger between independent consultant Richard Brummer Associates and Itasca. A new parent company named HCItasca is formed as a merger between the Itasca companies and Hydrologic Consultants Inc. of Colorado.
- 1996 Itasca Consultores, S.L. is founded in Oviedo, Spain, by Dr. Pedro Varona.
- 1994 Itasca Africa Pty., Ltd. is founded in Johannesburg, South Africa; FLAC is licensed to over 1,000 users worldwide; FLAC3D, PFC2D, and PFC3D are first released.
- 1993 Itasca S.A. is founded in Santiago, Chile.
- 1991 Itasca Consultants, S.A.S. is founded in Lyon, France by Dr. Daniel Billaux.
- 1989 Hydrologic Consultants, Inc. is founded in Denver as an employee-owned consulting firm specializing in environmental and mining hydrology.
- 1988 Itasca Geomechanic AB is founded by Magnus Bergman in Stockholm, Sweden, becoming the second Itasca office; 3DEC is first released.
- 1986 FLAC is first released.
- 1984 UDEC becomes first numerical modeling code made commercially available from Itasca.
- 1981 Itasca Consulting Group, Inc. founded by faculty members of the Department of Civil and Mineral Engineering at the University of Minnesota (Dr. Charles Fairhurst, Dr. Peter Cundall, Dr. Barry Brady, Dr. Tony Starfield, Dr. Ray Sterling) to provide services in rock mechanics, numerical modeling of geotechnical environments, and underground space use.